Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Assignment #13

I don’t think I have ever realized how much technology influenced my life until I had to give it up. It was one of the toughest challenges I faced in this class. My phone, computer, and and TV are constantly being used around the clock.

No cellphone
I started my “no technology” trial at 12 AM Thursday. I knew this would be the easiest day for me since I had work all day and one class. I woke up at 8 AM and left my phone in my purse so I wouldn’t be tempted to use it in the morning. I got ready without out using the television, and then drove to work.
I use a computer the whole time at work, so I can’t really avoid that, but I didnt use my phone the whole day. I also challenged myself by not going on the internet. It was very hard to do because there were times when I wanted to check it and see who had been trying to contact me throughout the day. I also was tempted to check Facebook, and the weather, or even the news. I ended up using my phone one time because I had to contact a classmate I had to meet up with and study.
When I went to class, I left my phone in the car so I wouldn’t be tempted to use it through lecture. That was the only technology that was available at that time so the challenge go slightly easier. When I left class and headed home, I left my phone in my purse, again, so I wouldn’t be tempted. When I got home, my family had the TV on, so I just walked past and went to my room. I also left my computer in the living room so I wouldn’t be tempted to get on Youtube or Pandora. I did some of my bookwork and took a shower. Because I didn’t have anything to watch or use, I just decided to go to bed early.

No TV
This was was a pretty difficult challenge. The TV and computer were slightly easier to avoid but my phone was the hardest part. I use my phone for so much. It’s the way I communicate with the world. It was very hard when I wanted to search something or contract family and friends. There were times when I just wanted to listen to music, but I couldn’t. Doing this assignment help me realize that maybe I shouldn’t be so dependent on a small electrical device. It also opened my eyes to realizing that I don’t have much of any other type of entertainment because technology. I need to start finding othering things to do besides watching TV or talking on the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Close but no cigar. You will soon have students even more committed to (or should I say addicted to) technology. Are you prepared to be their teacher? Can you teach without technology? How and what will you technology in your classroom? How will you use your student's technology for educational purposes?

    ReplyDelete