Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Assignment #8

Dr. Richard Miller - This is How We Dream

Dr. Miller discussed the change in global communication. In This is How We Dream, Everything now is every instant and now we can connect with anyone all around the world through social networks. He discusses an incremental change about people’s workplaces. Now people, are more likely to carry their laptops around compared to using pen and paper. In part 2 of this video series, Dr. Miller discusses how he feels that items on the internet not only  have to help us informationally, but they need to satisfy us visually and auditorily.
This is the new way of the world. Technology is the new way of learning, communicating, and entertainment. I believe I am ready to write in multi-media because it is the way educators are going to have to be. I feel that students will be able to learn it because students are starting to be exposed to technology so young. So, it will pretty much be instilled in them.


Blog Post #12 By Carly Pugh
Carly’s #12 post was really deep! I can tell this took a lot of effort and thought because it was really creative and well written. In Carly's Blog Post #12 The idea of making a playlist is really fun, but it also makes you think of what would be the “perfect” playlist. You want it to express who you are yet show who you will be as an educator. It’s a cool way to open up your creativity. When I checked out Carly’s playlist, I noticed that it was very long, which showed that this would be a very thoughtful process. But it did help that she showed an example of what she was looking for in this assignment, because I definitely wouldn’t know where to start.

EDM 310 is Different
When I tried to watch the The Chipper Series, it wasn’t working on my computer but I did enjoy EDM 310 for Dummies. I felt the exact same way those students felt when I first started the class; frustrated and overwhelmed. I also used to ask my fellow classmates the same questions about what the heck is going on in the class.But of course, as the time went on, the assignments  became a routine.  I think the primary message of this video is to use the videos that Dr. Strange provides because they will help you figure out how to use certain tools and how the tools can be helpful to you.  It looked like this video was really fun to make, and it would be a cool opportunity to take part in something like this. A video I would like to make for this class is a tutorial of how to use one of the programs we use or show how fun it is to use certain tools like twitter, blogger, and others like that.

Learn to change, Change to learn

This video was an eye opener for future education. Learn to Change, Change to Learn discusses that children today are surrounded by nothing but technology, and it can’t be ignored. Since this is what surrounds these children, then that means their learning environment needs to change. The adults in this video are explaining that classrooms need to start adapting to the new “21st century” learning, which needs to move away from memorizing facts and book work, and gravitating towards being about to find information through the internet and using social medias to connect around the world. Videos like this show me what kind of educator I will have to become when I graduate; technology oriented. It won’t be too hard since I am still young and it is still easy for me to learn about new technology and am still able to improve my skills. But now, I need to change my mind set from always using technology as entertainment to learning it as if I’m going to teach it.

Scavenger Hunt

This scavenger hunt was a really neat idea. Discovery Education Web 2.0 was a fun way to find new and helpful tools on the internet. I chose to numbers 1, 4, and 5.
1) The social networking site I found for teachers is teachade.com. There are a lot of helpful areas on this website that would be very useful to me as a teacher. Of course, there are the typical blogging areas and where you can connect with other teachers. You are also able to search for colleagues or even create your own workspace. One thing on the site that I thought was different was you are allowed to adopt a classroom. This is a program where you can donate money or supplies to different classrooms around the country and it’s free.
4) The video tool I found is called PhotoPeach. This would be an awesome tool to use, especially as a teacher. It is a website where you can upload pictures and create slideshows to present. I love taking pictures and I know I am going to want to take a lot of pictures of my students just because you can capture so many memories. because of this website, I won’t have to print out individuals to give to students. I will be able to upload them for all parents to see in private. A cool feature on this site is they have an area for educators that will allow you to engage with a large group of students at one time.
5)For my poll, I used the website app.zoomerang.com.

1 comment:

  1. Chanel,

    I am glad that you enjoyed all that you read this week.

    Now on a more serious note. I will be posting the comment below on all of my assignments this week just as an F.Y.I. for everyone who is concerned about how Dr. Strange grades your posts.

    I am glad that you enjoy all of these posts and that you see their usefulness. Yet, you seem to be expressing your opinion with out actually doing so. Let me clarify. When you evaluate these assignments, do not just say that everything is awesome and that everything is useful. There is no way everyone thinks the same thing about these sites. We are all humans with different opinions.
    I am noticing a trend in everyone's posts - not only yours - where you just state how cool it is, but never say why it is so in your opinion. The EDM staff aims to have these assignments be thought provoking. To say that something is "really great" is not demonstrating that you actually thought about it.
    So, agree when you actually agree; and please tell us WHY. Disagree when you want - we want to be provoked as well!

    Please do not think that this was aimed at you in particular, I just began to notice a trend with my assignments so I needed to let a few of you guys (with the potential) know that you are great writers, but your posts need to be more substantial than the "I agree" style that most people in this class turn in each week.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete